Chalcogenide MWIR FUSED Fiber Combiner
Fiber optic combiners are used to combine two or more fibers into one common aperture. The signals from several sources are combined into one fused fiber, thereby combining their output powers and wavelengths.
Inspired by silica fiber power combiners in near-IR used to combine power for pumping double clad fiber lasers and incoherent beam combining of high power lasers, IRflex Corporation proprietary manufacturing techniques of chalcogenide glass Mid-IR fibers make it possible to extend the power combining capacity beyond 2 µm silica fiber wavelength range.
Chalcogenide glass is made from a mixture of the chalcogenide elements: sulfur, selenium and tellurium. It offers promising properties such as transmission in mid and far infrared regions of spectra, lower values of phonon energies, high refractive index and very large nonlinearities as compared to silica. Chalcogenide glass fibers are the ideal candidates to manufacture the MWIR (mid-wave infrared) fused fiber combiner; the fiber transmits mid-infrared wavelengths from 1.5 to 6.5 µm with typical fiber loss of 0.1dB/m.
Using IRflex’s arsenic sulfide glass fibers, IRflex’s chalcogenide MWIR fused fiber combiners can incoherently combine the power from multiple laser sources into a common output aperture. These combiners can also spectrally combine laser sources that cover the MWIR spectrum from 1.5 to 6.5µm.
- High port transmission and combining efficiency for MWIR spectral beam combining
- Independent wavelength transmission from 1.5 to 6.5 µm wavelength range
- High power handling strength with mechanical flexibility
- Custom configurations availability
- Power and wavelength combining of IR diodes and quantum cascade lasers for high power laser systems.
- Remote sensing
- Long-range target identification and LIDAR
- Gaseous leaking detection, mineral and petroleum prospecting
- Medical surgery
|Models||Ports||Operation Wavelength||Input Fiber||Output Aperture||Port Transmission Efficiency|
|MWIR-FC-3||3 to 1||1.5 to 6.5 μm
||100 μm core diameter, NA=0.3||100 μm diameter, NA=0.3||75 to 98%|
|MWIR-FC-7||7 to 1||1.5 to 6.5 μm
||50 μm core diameter, NA=0.20||100 μm diameter, NA=0.20||75 to 98%|